Database design, implementation and maintenance
With our client’s new project starting up, we needed to develop a corresponding database in a tight timeframe. While assessing the job requirements, we realised that their existing system could not work under the new project’s constraints. After further consultation, The Detail Department was able to put forward a similar result with a far simpler database. Since implementation, the database has been modified with new features as the organisation has grown. The project database was so successful that it was taken over by the corporate IT team and placed within the organisation’s enterprise framework.
Detailed Qualtrics surveys
Customising an online help system using Confluence
Our client wanted their help system to display different terminology to different logged in users. They also wanted to produce high quality Word documents from their system’s help manuals. We first designed the structure of the site, then built a number of custom macros to make the help system really work well. We wrote all content and documented how the system works, then trained staff on how to use and maintain it. Our customised Confluence add-ons ensured the help documentation was only ever written once and could be displayed in multiple places.
A complete CRM implementation for a not-for profit
A prominent not-for-profit organisation required a full Salesforce implementation to update all their information from an outdated Access database. We worked with the organisation’s website developer to make significant customisations to Salesforce, to custom code and test the database, and set up the integrations between the not-for-profit’s website and the new cloud-based CRM. This detailed job also required extensive change management within the organisation. We trained staff to write internal help documents and to use the new system, including specialty training for administrative staff.
Website testing using Selenium
A complex internal website needed extensive testing to record that it worked, and worked fast enough for users. The Detail Department selected Selenium as the best testing tool for the job. Most Selenium projects are created in Java or Ruby, however as testing for the main non Web-based App was built in Visual Studio Team Suite Test Edition (VSTT), we used C# in the same environment. See Automated Website Testing with Selenium for more technical information on this project.
Other projects we have worked on recently include:
- Design and project management of Microsoft Dynamics CRM + SharePoint + Confluence – all talking to each other, for a team of 15 people. Great project.
- Salesforce implementation for a number of rapidly growing businesses.
- Stage 2 of a large Salesforce implementation including design and project management of a custom-developed solution, working with a local developer.
- Design and build of an almost fully automated board reporting tool using Klipfolio with integrations to Salesforce and Google Analytics (not fully automated due to having to get figures from MYOB, unfortunately).
- Selection of a CRM system for a small business.
- Helping a small business person get up-to-date with the latest technology and getting on track with a website, Google Apps, a CRM system and many other tools – all integrated, and all available on whichever device he is using – kind of like what I do for myself.
- Salesforce training and recovery – helping businesses rescue their Salesforce and get it back working for the business, plus doing training for the end users and documenting how to use the product for their business.
- A few Confluence implementations – after a shaky start with the new features, I love it now and can’t wait to help other businesses get the most out of this great too.
- A few smaller Qualtrics surveys – this is a great enterprise survey platform.
- A Microsoft xRM design and implementation for a corporate client. It’s interesting seeing the similarities and differences between Salesforce and MSCRM and the different requirements for a corporate vs a NFP client.
- A website and Google Apps setup for a national sporting body. See www.auf.com.au. This is a standard theme with a few tweaks by me.
- A web presence for a small community group (hence lots of blogging about great tools that are free or cheap).
- Managing a SQL Server and ASP.Net Web Site installation for a client, including regular site maintenance and modifications of SSIS packages.
- Access database modifications for a project within a large financial services organisation. Involved database, front end and reporting modifications to suit new business requirements in the years since the database was originally developed.
- A complex Access database to track projects with specific criteria (the DB is built with plans to move it to Microsoft xRM platform). It has integration with MS CRM, Jive Intranet and the data is exported to populate the public-facing website. This project took a non-functioning database and made it useable and allowing room for growth in the future.
- Built a few websites on the Business Catalyst platform.
That seems like a lot, but there is always more room for to work on cool new projects, so contact us if you think we can work on something together.
Of course, we blog about each product and the lessons learned, so see the blog posts.