I am the director and founder of The Detail Department.
I am an unapologetic generalist: I use the systems that are best-of-breed for the right purpose, and integrate them to help businesses have the best end to end process. I have never specialised in one product or App, and I don’t think I ever will.
With over 30 (gasp!) years of work, I have always improved business systems for the companies I worked for – it is just a natural part of what I do. So for the past few years, and now, with The Detail Department, I can help your business improve your business systems.
I live in the best city in the world, Melbourne (well, after living in Canberra, Perth, and Sydney, it is definitely the best for me). In my spare time (hmm, what spare time?) I enjoy the local sport of ‘going out for coffee’ in the more hipster areas of Melbourne (what, you did not know this is a sport? Let me tell you about it next time we meet… and no, I’m not a hipster).
The best place to find out any details about me is Twitter or LinkedIn – see the links on this page. If you like the old-skool idea of a Resume, I have one of those too.
What I do well
As I learn new things very quickly and am a generalist, I have often found that my clients will pay me to learn about a new App, product or service for them. That way I can learn all about the App, and then help the business to implement the App specifically for their business. It is a win-win: the business gets An app implemented specifically for them – with the features they need and not just what the external vendor is selling – and I get to learn new things then hopefully pass my skills on in the future. I am happiest with my work when I’m learning something new, or problem-solving for my clients.
I am a collector – of Apps, tools, processes, and ideas – anything to help businesses improve. If you need an App for something, then let me research it for you.
My background is in construction (yes, I am a qualified builder). Even though I have progressed my career into IT and Systems, I am still very interested in all things related to building and construction – especially the use of new technologies in construction.
My personal attributes
- A high level of attention to detail
- Self motivated and organised
- Extremely loyal and trustworthy
- A willingness to share what I have learned
- Passionate about my work
- A good teacher and good at explaining technical details
- Interested in learning
- Good business acumen
- An analytical mindset
Please see what others have said about me on the recommendations on my LinkedIn profile.
I love going to networking and professional events and usually end up helping out or organising events in some way, shape or form.
- Co-founder of Be2Camp – promoting the use of Technology for Construction and the Built Environment.
- Co-organiser of the Sydney Business and Technology User Group (currently in hiatus).
- Un-organiser of BarCamp Sydney for a few events (the idea of a general BarCamp has since waned, and none have been held for a few years now)
- In Melbourne I like to attend the Meetups of:
- Agile Business Analysts
- Melbourne Agile and Scrum
- Salesforce Platform Developer
- Salesforce User Group
- Salesforce Not For Profit User Group
- I have previously regularly attend a number of Sydney User Groups, although User Groups seem to have diminished in popularity lately. Groups I attended include:
- SharePoint Sydney User Group
- .Net User Group
- Sydney Mobile User Group
- Sydney Windows User Group
- Alt.Net User Group
- SQL Server User Group
- Girl Geeks
I improve my public speaking abilities through speaking regularly at User Groups and events. I usually blog about them here, and my presentations are put up on SlideShare. Some speaking topics have included:
- “We need to talk about Documentation” at Agile BA Meetup
- Talk about Command and Control at LAST Conference
- Lightning talk on Enterprise Data at Agile and Scrum meetup in Melbourne
- Lightning talk on building a help system in WordPress at WordCamp in Melbourne
- Selenium Automated Web Testing at SBTUG, Alt.Net UG and for a private company
- Websites for Community Groups at WordCamp on the Gold Coast
- Microsoft Office Live at Sydney Windows User Group
- Mobile Phone Review at Sydney Mobile User Group
- Google Wave at SBTUG
- Confluence and SharePoint Wikis at SBTUG
- Salesforce Actions at London’s Calling Salesforce Community Conference