For a while now, I’ve been wanting a printable view of my Google Calendar. I maintain a family calendar of all birthdays and there are some family members that want a printable calendar.
Google Calendar does not wrap all day events in the month view, so you have to hover to look at the full event details.
So, I finally spent some time today to work it out. It was time consuming and annoying so I hope someone benefits from this to make it less time consuming for them.
- Minimalist for Google Calendar – Chrome Extension to enable custom CSS in Google Calendar.
- The Custom CSS to add to the Minimalist Chrome Extension.
- PDF Binder to create the full 12 month calendar.
- Install the Chrome Extension.
- Show only the calendar you want to print in your Google Calendar.
- Set your default calendar settings to month view.
- Add the Custom CSS and then tweak the settings to ensure everything is hidden in Google Calendar.
- Resize the browser so the calendar fits nicely on one page.
- You should end up with a page in your browser that looks like the image below.
- Print each of the 12 months to PDF (right click > print > choose PDF).
- Save them somewhere locally.
- Use PDF Binder to bind them together into one PDF file.
- Email or Print that PDF File.
Voila! One print quality calendar has been created. (Well sort of print quality – it does not render perfectly but I’m sure someone with more CSS expertise could make tweaks to the custom CSS to get it more perfect).
I’m sure there are other ways to do this, but this one works.